LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The No. 35 ranked Boise State men's tennis team fell to 0-2 on its three dual California road trip, Sunday (Feb. 13), as the Broncos were swept by No. 6 UCLA, 7-0, at the Los Angeles Tennis Center in their seventh consecutive dual against a top 30 ranked opponent.
Boise State (2-6 overall, 0-0 Western Athletic Conference), which is now 1-6 against teams ranked nationally in the top 30, entered the day looking to rebound from a 6-1 loss at No. 20 Pepperdine on Saturday. UCLA (7-0) simply proved to be too strong however, as the Bruins won the doubles point and swept all six singles matches in straight sets to secure the shutout.
The Broncos gave UCLA all it could handle in doubles action, splitting the first two matches to put the doubles point hanging on match No. 1. After losing at No. 3, Nathan Sereke and Jeff Mullen scored the only victory of the day for Boise State at No. 2. Sereke and Mullen topped Holden Seguso and Adrien Puget, 8-5, to put the Broncos within striking distance of securing a 1-0 advantage early on in the dual.
Scott Sears and Damian Hume battled to finish off the doubles point win for Boise State but would fall short against Amit Inbar and Alex Brigham, losing 8-6 to give the Bruins a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
The Broncos' struggles would continue into singles competition where UCLA scored straight set victories in all six matches to complete the sweep.
Boise State has one more dual remaining on its current road trip as the Broncos are now scheduled to travel to San Diego, Calif. to square off against No. 53 San Diego State. Boise State will face SDSU on Tuesday (Feb. 15) at 1 p.m. (PST).
#6 UCLA 7, #35 Boise State 0
1. Daniel Kosakowski (UCLA) def. #62 Damian Hume (BSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. #86 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. #85 Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #64 Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Adrien Puget (UCLA) def. Andrew Bettles (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Inbar/Brigham (UCLA) def. Sears/Hume (BSU) 8-6
2. Sereke/Mullen (BSU) def. Seguso/Puget (UCLA) 8-5
3. Kosakowski/Warren Hardie (UCLA) def. Pogostkin/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 8-6
Order of Finish: Doubles (3, 2, 1); Singles (6, 3, 4, 2, 1, 5)