LAS CRUCES, N.M. - The No. 50 ranked Boise State men's tennis team concluded its 2011 Western Athletic Conference regular season schedule with a pair of duals in Las Cruces, N.M., Friday (April 22), as the Broncos knocked off Nevada 4-0 before falling to No. 73 New Mexico State 4-2 to finish 3-3 in WAC competition this spring.
Boise State (15-13 overall) appeared to be rolling early on, Friday, as the Broncos swept doubles competition against the Wolf Pack (5-11 overall, 0-3 WAC) before winning three quick singles matches to clinch the victory. The second match of the day would prove to be much tougher for Boise State however, as the Broncos dropped the doubles point and fell in three of five singles match to lose the Aggies (13-7, 3-2).
Against Nevada, Jeff Mullen and Nathan Sereke scored the first Boise State win of the day at No. 1 doubles as they knocked off Krsitian Kuharszky and Victor Ouvrard, 8-4. Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin clinched the doubles point next at No. 2 with an 8-7 win over Wessiem Derbel and Quentin Mege. Michael Gilliland and Scott Sears would complete the doubles sweep last at No. 3 with an 8-6 win against Nathan Reix and Kyle Walker.
In singles Bettles kept things rolling for the Broncos with a 6-4, 6-3 victory against Derbel at No. 1. Sears would put the team win within reach next at No. 2 as he knocked off Kuharszky, 6-4, 6-1.
Erik Sheldon clinched the 4-0 shutout for Boise State with a win at No. 5 singles as he beat Walker, 6-1, 7-5.
The Broncos looked to keep pace near the top of the WAC standings in the Friday afternoon dual against New Mexico State, but were unable to keep their momentum going en route to the 4-2 loss to the Aggies.
In doubles action New Mexico State scored the early 1-0 advantage with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 to clinch the doubles point. Boise State's lone doubles win came at No. 3 where Sears and Sheldon beat Marc Westgate and Luis Ramirez, 6-4, 6-2.
The Aggies continued to cruise in singles competition with wins at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 5 to score the upset.
The Broncos would manage a pair of singles wins to narrow the final team score as Sheldon and Sereke were each victorious in their afternoon matches. Sheldon beat Felipe Frattini, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 6 before Sereke knocked off Matej Stakne, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 4.
Boise State will look rebound from its 1-1 start to the weekend as the Broncos conclude their trip to New Mexico with a non-conference showdown against Arizona on Sunday (April 24). Boise State will face the Wildcats at 9 a.m. (MST).
#50 Boise State 4, Nevada 0
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Wessiem Derbel (UN) 6-4, 6-3
2. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Krsitian Kuharszky (UN) 6-4, 6-1
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) vs. Victor Ouvrard (UN) 7-6 (4), 2-0, unfinished
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. Quentin Mege (UN) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
5. Eric Sheldon (BSU) def. Kyle Walker (UN) 6-1, 7-5
6. Michael Gilliland (BSU) vs. Nathan Reix (UN) 7-6 (5), 3-2, unfinished
1. Jeff Mullen/Sereke (BSU) def. Kuharszky/Ouvrard (UN) 8-4
2. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Derbel/Mege (UN) 8-7
3. Gilliland/Sears (BSU) def. Reix/Walker (UN) 8-6
#73 New Mexico State 4, #50 Boise State 2
1. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) vs. Andrew Bettles (BSU) unfinished
2. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) def. Scott Sears (BSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
3. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 7-5, 6-4
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Jeff Mullen (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Brouleau/Stakne (NMSU) def. Mullen/Sereke (BSU) 8-6
2. Superlano/Surreaux (NMSU) def. Pogostkin/Bettles (BSU) 8-6
3. Sears/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) 8-4