Oct. 9, 2013
Download complete PDF version of Bronco weekly notes.
Schedule:Thursday - Boise State at Wyoming Live Stats Live Video/AudioSaturday - Boise State at No. 13 Colorado State Live Stats Live Video/AudioTHIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
- Boise State (8-7, 2-3 MW) continues Mountain West Conference action this week with a road trip to the other side of the continental divide to take on Wyoming (11-7, 1-3 MW) and No. 13 Colorado State (13-0, 4-0 MW).
- The Broncos will open at Wyoming on Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) in the UniWyo Sports Complex against the Cowgirls who are undefeated (6-0) at home this year.
- The road trip concludes at 13th-ranked Colorado State Saturday night at 7:30 p.m., this match's start time was moved back 30 minutes to accommodate the football game earlier in the day. The Rams are undefeated this year and are 6-0 at home in Moby Arena
MW PRESEASON POLL
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted Colorado State to place second, Boise State seventh and Wyoming 8th in the 2013 league race.
- Live stats for this weekend's matches will be available via "GameTracker" links at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-volley/sched/bosu-w-volley-sched.html.
MATCH 16, Wyoming Match Notes
- Thursday's Wyoming-Boise State encounter will be the 16th all-time and fifth in MW play between these two programs, the Cowgirls currently hold a small 8-7 edge in the series.
- The series is tied at 3-3 in matches played in Laramie.
- The home team won both meetings last year between the Broncos and Cowgirls.
- Wyoming enters the week at 11-7 overall, 1-3 in league play which is good for ninth-place and is undefeated 6-0 at home in 2013.
- Last week Wyoming went 3-0 defeating Colorado (3-2) and Black Hills State (3-0) at home before winning at Nevada (3-0).
- The Cowgirls are the top blocking team in the conference averaging 2.92 per set. They have four players with over 100 kills this season led by Reese Plante, Bridget Shanahan and Erin Kirby all with 162 apiece.
- Wyoming returned four starters, the libero and eight letterwinners from 2012.
MATCH 17, Colorado State Match Notes
- Saturday's match at Colorado State will be the seventh all-time, fifth in MW play, in the series with the Rams winning the previous six encounters.
- The Rams won both meetings last year in straight sets.
- Colorado State enters the week ranked 13th nationally and is 13-0 overall and 4-0 in league play, good for first-place.
- The Rams will host Utah State Thursday night.
- Colorado State leads the league on the year and is seventh nationally in hitting percentage at 31.3 percent.
- Adrianna Culbert leads the team and is seventh in the MW for kills per set at 3.20 (147 kills) followed by Marlee Reynolds at 3.13 kps (144 kills).
- CSU returned three starters and nine letterwinners from 2012.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 8-7 overall and 2-3 in MW play heading into this week's matches. The Broncos are 3-3 at home and 5-4 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos split a pair of home matches this past week losing 3-1 to New Mexico then defeated Grand Canyon 3-0 in a nonconference match.
- Air Force Match Postponed: The Air Force match scheduled for Oct. 3 in Boise was postponed do to the government shutdown. Attempts are being made to reschedule the contest for later in the season.
- Coming Up Aces: The Broncos recorded 13 service aces on Oct. 7 against Grand Canyon, that tied for third-most in a three-set match for Boise State during the rally scoring era (since 2001).
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-2 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State and defeated Belmont.
- National Rankings: As of Oct. 7, the Broncos are ranked 46th nationally in hitting percentage (25.4 pct.), 59th in assists per set (12.76 aps) and 80th in kills per set (13.5 kps).
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Oct. 8, Boise State enters the week ranked second in hitting percentage (25.5 pct.) on the year. It is ranked first in service aces (1.42 saps) per set, as well as third in assists (12.75 aps) and kills (13.49 kps).
- The Head Coach: Shawn Garus is in his fifth season in charge of the Broncos where he is 70-71 to go with a career record 185-191.