Nov. 12, 2013
Download pdf version of weekly notes
THIS WEEK IN BRONCO VOLLEYBALL
- Thursday - Fresno State at Boise State (Bronco Gym) 7 p.m. Live Stats Live Video
- Saturday - San Jose State at Boise State (Bronco Gym) 6 p.m. Live Stats Live Video
- Boise State (11-14, 5-10 MW) is home for two Mountain West Conference matches this week in Bronco Gym when the Fresno State Bulldogs (16-10, 10-4 MW) and San Jose State Spartans (8-17, 5-9 MW) come to town.
- The Broncos will open the week on Thursday night at 7 p.m. (all times listed are Mountain) against Fresno State who enters the week tied for second in the MW standings.
- Boise State will close the weekend against San Jose State at 6 p.m. on Saturday in Bronco Gym.
- The Broncos enter the week in ninth-place in the league standings, while Fresno State is in a tie for second and San Jose State is sitting in eighth.
MW PRESEASON POLL
- In relation to the three Mountain West schools involved this weekend the MW coaches predicted Fresno State to place sixth, Boise State seventh and San Jose State ninth during the 2013 league race.
TIME CHANGE FOR SJSU MATCH
- The start time for Saturday's match with San Jose State has been changed from a 7 p.m. start to 6 p.m. to accommodate fans who would like to attend the volleyball match and the football game versus Wyoming which kicks off at 8:15 p.m.
- THURSDAY: This is a busy week at Boise State, so parking for Thursday's volleyball match is in the Lincoln Parking Garage or in the east and south Bronco Stadium parking lots. The parking lot between the stadium and Taco Bell Arena / Bronco Gym is reserved for a concert taking place in the arena.
- SATURDAY: Parking for Saturday's volleyball match will be located in the Liberal Arts lot with overflow in the Lincoln garage.
LIVE STATS and VIDEO
- Both matches will feature live stats and live video on BroncoSports.com.
MATCH 26, Fresno State Match Notes
- The Bulldogs were also former WAC rivals of the Broncos before joining the MW for 2012 season.
- Fresno State leads the all-time series 19-8, 11 of the last 12 matches have been decided in five-sets with the Broncos winning four.
- Boise State snapped Fresno State's six-match win streak over the Broncos earlier this season when the blue and orange won in five sets at Fresno on Sept. 28.
- Fresno State enters the week at 16-10 overall and 10-4 in MW play, tied for second. They are 7-5 on the road this season.
- Last week Fresno State split a pair of home contests losing 3-1 to UNLV before defeating San Diego State 3-0.
- Korrin Wild leads the Bulldogs and is ranked second in the MW for kills per set at 3.83 (333 total kills), followed by Marissa Brand ranked seventh in the league at 3.07 kps.
- On the year Fresno State features the league's fourth ranked hitting offense at 22.8 percent, just behind Boise State at 23 percent.
MATCH 27, San Jose State Match Notes
- Saturday's SJSU-Boise State encounter will be the 26th all-time and second in MW play between these two programs, the Spartans lead the all-time series 16-9 over the Broncos.
- SJSU leads the series 7-4 in matches played at Boise.
- Boise State has won six straight encounters over SJSU, including a five-set win in San Jose State on Sept. 26 of this year.
- The Spartans joined the MW this summer and are former league rivals of Boise State in the Western Athletic Conference for 10 years.
- San Jose State enters the week at 8-17 overall and 5-9 in league, the Spartans are 3-13 on the road this season.
- Last week SJSU swept a pair of home matches defeating both San Diego State and UNLV in five sets.
- Hannah Blume leads the Spartans and is ranked third in the MW for kills per set at 3.68 (350 total kills), followed by Mary Alice O'Reilly at 2.9 kps.
- San Jose State features the sixth-ranked hitting offense in the conference at 21.3 percent.
BOISE STATE TEAM NOTES
- The Record: Boise State is 10-14 overall and 5-10 in MW play heading into this week's matches. The Broncos are 5-6 at home and 6-8 on the road in 2013.
- Recent Opponents: The Broncos dropped a pair of 3-1 road matches last weekend at New Mexico and Air Force.
- Bronco Week 11 Leaders: Last week Maddy O'Donnell had a break out series leading the team with 22 kills and a 48.7 hitting percentage, in addition to three blocks. Taylor Murphey led the team at New Mexico with a team-high 13 kills to finish the week with a second-best 20 overall.
- Offensively as a Team in Week 11: Boise State hit well at New Mexico at 25.4 percent but struggled at Air Force to finish the week hitting 20.6 percent with 105 kills (13.12 kps).
- Defensively as a Team in Week 11: The Broncos allowed the opponents to hit a combined 31.9 percent from the floor with 123 kills. Boise State recorded 98 digs and 11 blocks.
- CAREER TOP-10 RECORD: Setter Casey Rose recorded 31 assists at Nevada on Oct. 17 to move into ninth-place on the Bronco career assists list with 1,704 passing Mindy Bennett (2001-04). The senior now has 1,807 and needs to reach 1,862 to tie for eighth.
- Against 2012 NCAA Tournament: Boise State is currently 1-5 against teams that went to the 2012 NCAA Tournament: lost to No. 5 Washington, lost at Portland State, defeated Belmont, lost twice to nationally-ranked Colorado State and lost to San Diego State in Boise.
- National Rankings: As of Nov. 12, the Broncos are ranked 85th nationally in hitting percentage (23 pct.) and 88th in assists per set (12.45 aps). Brittany Reardon is 37th in hitting percentage at 37.1 percent.
- Mountain West Rankings: As of Nov. 12, Boise State enters the week ranked third in hitting percentage (23 pct.) on the year. It is ranked second in service aces (1.25 saps) per set, as well as fifth in kills (13.17 kps) and sixth in assists (12.45 aps). Aly Duffin (38.7 pct.) is second in hitting percentage, while Brittany Reardon (37.1 pct.) is fourth.