March 28, 2013
BOISE, Idaho - The No. 48 Boise State men's tennis team won its seventh-consecutive match, Thursday, defeating UC Santa Barbara 6-1.
Boise State started with a close win in singles competition thanks to victories on court one and court three. Bettles/Sereke were the first to finish, taking their match 8-5. Their match was followed almost instantaneously by Mitchell/Reid at No. 3 who won by the same score and clinched the point for the Broncos.
Bettles was off the courts quickly in singles as he took down Benjamin Recknagel 6-1, 6-0 to notch his 11th-straight victory, all at the No. 1 position.
Freshman Thomas Tenreiro was busy keeping his own streak alive on court five. Tenreiro now has 10-straight wins and is 14-3 this spring. He defeated Andrew Riminton 6-3, 6-2, Thursday.
Garrett Patton provided the match-clinching point at the No. 6 spot for the Broncos when he defeated Miles Seemann in straight-sets 7-5, 6-0.
Filipp Pogostkin and Nathan Sereke were the final two Broncos to claim victory, both doing so in straight-sets as well. Pogostkin won 6-2, 6-2 against Ziad Sultan at No. 4 while Sereke was in a tight battle with Mbonise Ndimande. Sereke was able to take the first set 7-5 and used a late break in the second set to win by the same score.
Sereke, the reigning Mountain West Player of the Week is now 7-3 in his last 10 matches.
Boise State will be back out at the Appleton Tennis Center, Friday for a 1:30 p.m., match against regional opponent Utah State.
No. 48 Boise State 6, UCSB 1
March 28, 2013
Appleton Tennis Center
1. Bettles/Sereke (BSU) def. Sultan/Ziad, 8-5
2. Bouillin/Recknagel (UCSB) def. Sears/Patton, 8-6
3. Reid/Mitchell (BSU) def. Riminton/Seemann, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. No. 29 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Benjamin Recknagel, 6-1, 6-0
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Mbonisi Ndimande, 7-5, 7-5
3. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) def. Scott Sears, 7-6, 0-6, 10-6
4. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Ziad Sultan, 6-2, 6-2
5. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Andrew Riminton, 6-3, 6-2
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Miles Seemann, 7-5, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 6, 4, 3, 2