Nov. 7, 2014
KIRKLAND, Wash. - Boise State's men's tennis team had a successful opening day at the Pacific Northwest Intercollegiate at Kirkland, Wash., advancing three players to the singles semifinals in three flights. Brian Foley, Toby Mitchell and Lewis Roskilly all won their matches to reach Saturday's semifinal rounds. Brian Foley reached the semifinals of his singles flight when he put away Brent Wheeler from Portland State with relative ease 6-1, 6-0. He now faces Washington's Rishabh Raman on Saturday. Toby Mitchell also advanced to the semifinal round following his victory Friday afternoon over Portland's Reid Delaubenfels by injury default 7-6 (5), withdraw. Mitchell will meet Daan Maasland of Oregon tomorrow afternoon. Boise State's Abe Hewko ran into Portland's Steffen Dierauf who handed the Bronco a surprising straight-set defeat 6-0, 7-6 (5). Hewko now moves into tomorrow's consolation draw. Lewis Roskilly was the third Bronco to win his singles match on Friday downing Eastern Washington's Stefan Farrar 6-0, 7-5. He moves on to Saturday's semifinal versus Oregon's Alberto Reyes.
Boise State's doubles teams went 1-2 on the opening day of the PNW Intercollegiate. The tandem of Mitchell and Foley won their first round match 8-4 over Ethan Lopez and Stuart Tierney from Portland State. They then advanced to the quarterfinals this afternoon where the Boise State duo lost 8-4 to Portland's Delaubenfels and Dierauf.
The second team of Hewko and Roskilly lost their first contest 8-2 to Oregon's pair of Blake Anthony and Alberto Reyes. They move into Saturday's consolation draw.
Pacific Northwest Intercollegiate Championship
Central Park Tennis Center in Kirkland, Wash.
Friday, Nov. 7-9
Hosted by Washington Huskies
Boise State's Friday Singles Schedule
- QF. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Reid Delaubenfels (Portland), 7-6 (5), won by injury default
- QF. Steffen Dierauf (Portland) def. Abe Hewko (BSU), 6-0, 7-6 (5)
- QF. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Brent Wheeler (Portland State), 6-1, 6-0
- QF. Lewis Roskilly (BSU) def. Stefan Farrar (Eastern Washington), 6-0, 7-5
Boise State's Friday Doubles Schedule
- 16. Mitchell/Foley (BSU) def. Ethan Lopez/Stuart Tierney (Portland State), 8-4
- 16. Anthony/Reyes (Oregon) def. Hewko/Roskilly (BSU), 8-2
- QF. Reid Delaubenfels/Steffan Dierauf (Portland) def. Mitchell/Foley (BSU), 8-4