Dec. 13, 2014
Eastern Washington (4-3) at Boise State (6-3)
Dec. 14, 2014 at 2 p.m. (Mountain Time)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
49th Meeting in Series GAME NOTES | LIVE STATS | LIVE AUDIO | LIVE VIDEO
- Game: Boise State (6-3) continues a four-game homestand with the Eastern Washington Eagles (4-3) at 2 p.m. Sunday in Taco Bell Arena. It is the first contest of a women’s/men’s doubleheader and the second game of the homestand.
- Promotion: Fans can get into both contests for the women’s basketball game price (adults $6, seniors (62 years or older) and youth $4) if they arrive by the end of halftime of the women’s game.
- Next Up: The Broncos will host the Portland Pilots next Sunday at 2 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena. This will be the final non-conference game before Mountain West play begins with preseason favorite Colorado State in Taco Bell Arena on Dec. 31.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Win Streak: The Broncos have an active six-game home win streak intact dating back to the final two home contests of 2013-14.
- Field Goal Shooting: Boise State is 5-0 when shooting above 40 percent and 1-3 when falling below that percentage ... the Broncos have taken more shots than opponents in eight of the nine contests this year.
- Free-Throw Line: The Broncos have taken fewer free throws in seven of the nine games to date and are 4-3 in those contests ... however, the Broncos have shot a better percentage (.692 to .621) from the charity stripe in seven games going 5-2 overall.
- In the Paint: Boise State is 4-1 when scoring more in the paint.
- The Bench: Boise State’s bench has outscored the opponent in every victory this season and is 6-1 overall when it does.
- The Leader of the Broncos: Senior Deanna Weaver has scored double figure points in eight of the nine games ... she has led the Broncos in scoring during five games this season and averages a team-best 14.7 points per game (MW t-6th).
- Getting Defensive: Boise State’s defense has carried the Broncos in the early part of the season allowing a MW low 56.3 points per game.
- Looking for Offense: The Broncos have struggled scoring off and on tallying 60 points or below in four of their last six games ... they scored a season-high 91 points last time out versus the College of Idaho ... Boise State is fifth in the MW for scoring at 68.1 points per game.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 6-3 overall.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won two of their last three games defeating Idaho State (86-62) on the road, then lost at Utah Valley 68-60, before Wednesday’s win over the College of Idaho in Boise.
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- EWU’s Conference Affiliation: Eastern Washington is a member of the 12-member Big Sky Conference where it was picked to place fifth by the coaches.
- EWU’s Record: The Eagles are 4-3 overall entering the game.
- Recently for the Eagles: EWU is coming in off a 69-39 home victory over Saint Martin’s on Friday afternoon ... the Eagles are 2-1 in their last three contests.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 4-0 at home in 2014-15 and have an active six-game win streak dating back to 2013-14 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 276-144 (.657 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 2-3 on the road in 2014-15.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Miquelle Askew is next at 10.4 ppg and 4.8 rpg ... Keiahnna Engel adds 8.1 ppg and 3.6 rpg.
- Eagle Leaders: Four players average over 10 points per game led by Hayley Hodgins and Lexie Nelson at 17.4 points per game each, followed by Delaney Hodgins at 11.4 ppg and Melissa Williams at 10.1 ppg and team-high 8.3 rebounds per game.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 68.1 points and 41.3 rebounds per game, to rank fifth and third, respectively, in the MW ... Defensively, the Broncos are allowing 56.3 points and 35.4 rebounds per game, both are top in the MW.
- EWU as a Team: Offensively, the Eagles average 70.1 points (BSC 4th) and 36.4 rebounds (BSC 11th) per game ... Defensively, they allow 62.6 ppg and 39.9 rpg, both rank sixth in Big Sky.
- The Coaches: Wendy Schuller is in her 14th season as head coach at EWU where she is 181-210. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 160-130 and 556-257 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 49th meeting all-time between the Eagles and Broncos with Boise State holding a 28-20 advantage ... the Eagles have won the last two meetings.
- Former Conference Rivals: These two were once conference rivals from 1977-1982 in the Northwest Women’s Basketball League ... they were members of the old Mountain West Athletic Conference (MWAC) from 1982-88 ... the MWAC eventually became the Big Sky Conference in 1989, the Broncos left the BSC in 1996.
- Last Time: The last time these two programs met was Dec. 20, 2013 in Cheney when the Eagles ran past the Broncos 81-66.
- Big Sky Conference: EWU is the fourth Big Sky school the Broncos have played this year going 2-1 versus Montana State (W 75- 60), at Southern Utah (L 66-64) and at Idaho State (W 86-62) ... Boise State is 229-174 all-time against the current membership of the league.