Dec. 5, 2014
GAME EIGHT FACTS
Boise State (5-2) at Utah Valley (3-5)
Dec. 6, 2014 at 3 p.m. (Mountain Time)
Orem, Utah (UVU P.E. Main Court Gym)
- Game: Boise State (5-2) is on the road for the second of two games traveling to Orem, Utah, to face the Utah Valley Wolverines (3-5) at 3 p.m. (Mountain) Saturday in the UVU P.E. Main Court Gym.
- Thursday Night: Boise State won the first contest this week defeating instate-rival Idaho State 86-62 in Pocatello, Idaho, on Thursday.
- Next Up: The Broncos will return to the friendly confines of Taco Bell Arena for the next four contests beginning with the College of Idaho on Wednesday, Dec. 10.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
BRONCOS ADD GAME VERSUS C of I
- New Game: Boise State and the College of Idaho announced on Tuesday (Dec. 2) that they will meet next Wednesday, Dec. 10, at 7 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena at Boise.
- Promotion: Fans will be able to attend to game versus the Coyotes for free as no admission will be charged.
LAST TIME OUT
- Result: The Broncos were on the road Thursday night defeating instate-rival Idaho State in dominating fashion 86-62.
- Key Run: Boise State used a 20-3 run midway through the first half to seize control of the game turning a 8-7 deficit into a 27-11 advantage with just over eight minutes left in period ... the Broncos never looked back stretching a 15-point 38-23 halftime lead out to 37 points 84-47 with 4:22 to play.
- Player of the Game: Even though it was a solid team effort, ISU had no answer for senior Deanna Weaver who exploded for 28 points to go with a team-high nine rebounds to lead the Broncos. With the game well in hand, she was pulled with 12:31 to play in game.
- Field Goal Shooting: Boise State shot lights out against the Bengals hitting 56 percent from the floor and 54 percent from the arc.
- Near Record: Six Broncos contributed to a long distance barrage from beyond the 3-point arc as the team made 14 on the night, one shy of tying the program record.
- Win Streaks: The Broncos win at Idaho State Thursday extended their win streak to three ... they have also won five straight at home and two on the road.
- 2014 GAS: Boise State competed at the Great Alaska Shootout Nov. 25-26 where it split a pair of contests falling to Long Beach State 68-50, then regrouped to defeat Yale 59-53 in overtime to take third place.
- All-Tournament: Senior Deanna Weaver was named the player of the game for the Yale contest, as well as earning all-tournament honors at the Great Alaska Shootout.
- Overtime: The Broncos' overtime victory against Yale was only the 11th time they had played and extra period under coach Presnell in his 10 seasons at Boise State, they are 5-6 in overtime games.
- The Leader of the Broncos: Senior Deanna Weaver has led the Broncos in scoring in five of seven games this season and averages 16.4 points per game (MW 5th).
- Getting Defensive: Boise State's defense has carried the Broncos in its five victories, the Broncos are allowing 57 points per game to rank second in the Mountain West this season.
- Looking for Offense: The Broncos had struggled scoring in recent games having three straight contests finishing below 60 points ... however, they found their shooting touch at Idaho State scoring a season-high 86 points ... Boise State is sixth in the MW for scoring at 66 points per game.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Boise State's Record: The Broncos are currently 5-2 overall.
- Recently for Boise State: After suffering a pair of road losses to Southern Utah (Nov. 21) and Long Beach State (Nov. 25), the Broncos have won three straight since, versus Yale (Nov. 26), at home against Carroll College (Nov. 30) and at Idaho State (Dec. 4).
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State is expected to battle for the Mountain West championship having been picked to place second in the preseason poll.
- UVU's Conference Affiliation: UVU is a member of the Western Athletic Conference where it was picked to place fourth out of eight teams.
- UVU's Record: The Wolverines are 3-5 overall entering the game.
- Recently for the Wolverines: UVU has lost three straight beginning with road losses at UC Davis (59-49) and at San Francisco (69-50), followed by a home loss to Southern Utah (76-72) on Tuesday (Dec. 2).
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 3-0 at home in 2014-15. They went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 275-144 (.656 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 2-2 on the road in 2014-15.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 16.4 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, both team highs ... Miquelle Askew is next at 9.1 ppg and 4.7 rpg ... Keiahnna Engel adds 8.6 ppg and 4.0 rpg.
- Players to Watch for Boise State: The Broncos return senior wing Deanna Weaver who earned MW All-Conference First Team, MW Newcomer of the Year and MW All-Defensive Team honors last year, as well as being named Preseason All-MW this fall ... sophomore point guard Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego was last year's MW Co-Freshman of the Year and a member of the MW All-Freshmen Team ... Purdue transfer senior Camille Redmon was named the MW Preseason Newcomer of the Year.
- Wolverine Leaders: Rhaiah Spooner-Knight leads UVU averaging 13.8 points and 4.6 rebounds per game ... Patrice Toston adds 11.0 ppg followed by Mariah Seals at 10.4 ppg.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 66 points and 40.4 rebounds per game, both rank sixth in the MW ... Defensively, the Broncos are allowing 57 points (MW 2nd) and 34.6 rebounds (MW 1st) per game.
- UVU as a Team: Offensively, the Wolverines average 67.4 points and 40.6 rebounds per game ... Defensively, they allow 66.2 ppg and 38.8 rpg.
- The Coaches: Cathy Nixon is in her 20th season at UVU where she is 323-260. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 159-129 and 555-256 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 11th meeting all-time between the Wolverines and Broncos with Boise State holding an 8-2 advantage.
- Last Time: The last time they met was Dec. 5, 2013 in Boise when the Broncos won 63-60.
- Western Athletic Conference: the Broncos are 32-18 all-time versus the current membership including a 70-45 win over New Mexico State earlier this year.