Feb. 7, 2014
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah - Andy Bettles' singles win on court one clinched the 5-2 victory for Boise State's men's tennis team over Utah Friday night in Salt Lake City, Utah. Bettles improved to 14-6 on the year with the 6-3, 6-4 win over Utah's Slim Hamza. In addition to the doubles point the Broncos recorded singles wins by Nathan Sereke, Thomas Tenreiro and Toby Mitchell to earn their fourth straight victory as they improved to 5-2 overall, while it was the first defeat of the season for Utah who fell to 5-1.
Boise State claimed the doubles point with wins on courts one and three. Brendan McClain and Garret Patton recorded the first win defeating Slim Hamza and Cedric Willems 6-3 at No. 1 doubles. Utah then pulled even with a 6-4 win by Devin Lane and Ben Tavesca over Bettles and Tenreiro on court two.
That setup Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke's point clinching 6-4 win on court three over the Utes' Matt Cowley and Alejandra Mendilla.
Cedric Willems pulled Utah even with the first singles win downing the Broncos' Patton 6-3, 6-1 on court four. Sereke gave Boise State back the lead when he defeated Ben Tavesca 6-5 (4), 6-1 at No. 2 singles. With the victory Sereke improved to 4-4 overall and 4-2 in duals.
Mitchell extended the Bronco advantage to 3-1 when he recorded a 6-5 (3), 6-0 straight set win over Patrick Mayer on court 6. That setup Bettles' match clinching win at No. 1 singles.
The No. 5 singles match finished shortly after where Utah's Lane tallied a 5-6 (0), 6-4, 10-4 win over Boise State's McClain. The final singles match went to the Broncos' Tenreiro who downed the Utes' Mendilla in three sets 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 on court three.
Boise State will continue its road trip to the state of Utah by traveling south to Provo to take on 66th-ranked BYU (4-4) at 5:30 p.m. Saturday afternoon.
No. 45 Boise State (5-2) at Utah (5-1)
Salt Lake City, Utah
Feb. 7, 2014
Boise State def. Utah 5-2
1. McClain/Patton (BSU) def. Slim Hamza/Cedric Willems (UU), 6-3
2. Lane/Tavesca UU def. Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU), 6-4
3. Mitchell/Sereke (BSU) def. Matt Cowley/Medinilla (UU), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,2,3*
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Slim Hamza (UU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Ben Tavesca (UU), 6-5 (4), 6-1
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Alejandro Mendilla (UU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
4. Cedric Willems (UU) def. Garrett Patton (BSU), 6-3, 6-1
5. Devin Lane (UU) def. Brendan McClain (BSU), 5-6 (0), 6-4, 10-4
6. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Patrick Mayer (UU), 6-5 (3), 6-0
Order of finish: 4,2,6,1*5,3