March 1, 2014
EUGENE, Ore. - Andy Bettles' straight set singles victory secured the match for Boise State as the Broncos rolled past the Washington Huskies Saturday afternoon in Eugene, Ore. The Broncos opened by sweeping all three doubles matches, then recorded singles victories by Thomas Tenreiro, Nathan Sereke, Andy Bettles, Brendan McClain and Garrett Patton. The win extends Boise State's win streak to nine straight as the 15th-ranked Broncos improved to 10-2 on the year.
The team doubles point was a battle, but the Broncos came out victorious in all three contests. Boise State's McClain and Patton put away their opponents Emmett Egger and Jeff Hawke on court one 8-4 to get the momentum going the Broncos way. That was followed by two matches that went to 8-6 before Bettles and Tenreiro won on court two, shortly afterward Toby Mitchell and Sereke tallied the win at No. 3 doubles.
Tenreiro then started things off for Boise State in singles quickly dispatching the Huskies' Jeff Hawke 6-1, 6-1. Sereke pulled the Broncos to within one team point of victory when the senior defeated Gal Hakak 6-2, 6-4 to put the Blue and Orange up 3-0.
With Boise State up three points, Bronco senior Andy Bettles would clinch the match. He rolled in the first set 6-1 then fought off Washington's Max Manthou in the second 7-5 to claim the straight set win and hand the Broncos a 4-0 lead to clinch.
McClain made the score 5-0 when he recorded a 6-3, 6-4 victory on court five, followed by Garrett Patton's 7-5, 4-6, 10-6 win on court four to round out Boise State's scoring on the day.
Down 6-0, Washington's lone point came at No. 6 singles where Viktor Farkas edged Boise State's Brian Foley 4-6, 7-6, 10-6 to pull the Huskies to within five on the final team score.
Boise State (10-2) vs. Washington (6-5)
March 1, 2014
No. 15 Boise State def. Washington 6-1
1. McClain/Patton (BSU) def. Egger/Hawke (UW), 8-4
2. Bettles/Tenreiro (BSU) def. Manthou/Farkas (UW), 8-6
3. Toby Mitchell/Sereke def. Chamerski/Wendell Watanabe (UW), 8-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Max Manthou (UW), 6-1, 7-5
2. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Gal Hakak (UW), 6-2, 6-4
3. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Jeff Hawke (UW), 6-1, 6-1
4. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Emmett Egger (UW), 7-5, 4-6, 10-6
5. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Michael Chamerski (UW), 6-3 , 6-4
6. Viktor Farkas (UW) def. Brian Foley (BSU), 4-6, 7-6, 10-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1, 5, 4, 6