March 19, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State game notes
- Boise State (17-13) at Grand Canyon (21-8)
- March 20, 2014 (Thursday) at 8 p.m. (Mountain)
- Phoenix, Ariz. (Antelope Gymnasium)
- Follow the Game: LIVE STATS | LIVE VIDEO | LIVE AUDIO
- Women's Basketball Invitational "WBI": Boise State is off to open its first ever appearance in the Women's Basketball Invitational when the Broncos take on the Grand Canyon Antelopes (21-8) Thursday night in Phoenix, Ariz.
- WBI: The Women's Basketball Invitational is in its fifth season as a postseason tournament. The competition features 16 teams from across the country and four rounds which are all played on campus sites from the round of 16 to the championship.
- Potential Quarterfinal Opponents: If Boise State were to advance with a victory on Thursday the Broncos would head to the state of Texas to play the winner of Thursday's Stephen F. Austin vs. Texas State game on either Saturday or Sunday.
- Radio Broadcast: Listen live to each game via radio broadcast by KTIK (AM 1350) and over the internet at BroncoSports.com as Chris Lewis calls the action at http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/boise.portal.
- Follow the Game: Follow the action at Grand Canyon on live stats via the GCU athletic web site at http://www.sidearmstats.com/gcu/wbball/, as well as live video at http://www.gculopes.com/showcase/.
- All-Time Record: Thursday's meeting is the first between the two schools in women's basketball.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Recently for Boise State: Boise State is coming off a 61-56 MW tournament quarterfinal loss to Wyoming last Tuesday in Las Vegas.
- Boise State's Record: The Broncos are now 17-13 overall on the year and went 12-6 in conference action, good for a tie for third place in the final MW standings.
- About Grand Canyon: The Antelopes are in the first year of their transition from NCAA division II to division I. As a result, they were not eligible to compete in the Western Athletic Conference tournament
- Recently for Grand Canyon: The Antelopes finished the regular season on a four-game win streak including a home sweep over New Mexico State (66-56) and Texas-Pan American (77-55) on the last weekend.
- Grand Canyon's Record: GCU finished the regular season at 21-8 overall and 10-6 in MW play, good for third place in the WAC.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 272-144 (.654 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena. They are 1-0 in Bronco Gym this season.
- Boise State on the Road: After dropping their first six road games of the season the Broncos have gone 5-3 since and are now 5-9 on the road overall, the total includes the neutral site MW Tournament loss.
- Grand Canyon at Home: The Antelopes were hard to beat at home in Antelope Gymnasium where they went 11-1 overall, 7-1 in conference.
- Leading the Broncos: Deanna Weaver enters the tournament leading the team in scoring average at 13.3 points per game. Miquelle Askew was second in scoring average at 13.1 ppg but leads the team in total points with 393. Weaver has not played in enough games to be ranked by MW, but Askew is 12th MW. Lexie Der follows those two at 10.9 ppg but is injured and will not play. Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego is third on the active list at 9.8 ppg. Weaver leads the team on the glass at 6.9 rebounds per game.
- Leading Grand Canyon: Deanna Daniels leads the Antelopes in scoring at 14.4 points per game (9th WAC) and Kaitlyn Petersen at 13.7 ppg (11th WAC). Johnna Brown led GCU on the glass at 8.9 rebounds per game (4th WAC), followed by Judy Jones at 8.5 rpg.
- Boise State as a Team: On the year Boise State is averaging 71.3 points (6th MW) and 37.1 rebounds (10th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 68.8 points (7th MW) and 39.2 boards (6th MW) per game.
- Grand Canyon as a Team: The Antelopes average 69.9 points (6th WAC) and 37.5 rebounds (7th WAC) per game, while allowing 60.4 points (1st WAC) and 37.1 rebounds per game (1st WAC).
- The Coaches: Trent May is in his seventh season at Grand Canyon where he is 151-54, his career mark is the same. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 153-126 and 549-253 in his 27th season all-time.
NATIONAL POSTSEASON TOURNAMENTS
- Tournaments All-Time: This will be Boise State's sixth national postseason tournament all-time in program history.
- Postseason Record: Boise State is currently 1-6 in postseason play.
- AIAW: Boise State went 0-2 in the 1975 Association of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women's national tournament.
- NCAA: The Broncos have reached two NCAA Tournaments in 1994 and 2007 losing each time in the first round.
- WNIT: Boise State has also gone to the Women's National Invitation Tournament on two occasions in 1998 and 2008 reaching the second round last time out.
- WBI: This is the first trip to the Women's Basketball Invitational for the Broncos.
- Under Coach Presnell: Head coach Gordy Presnell is the first Boise State coach to take three teams into postseason play in program history: 2007 NCAA, 2008 WNIT and 2014 WBI.