April 5, 2014
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State men's tennis remained perfect in Mountain West Conference action with a dominating 6-1 home victory over Utah State at the Appleton Tennis Center Saturday morning. The Broncos claimed the doubles point, then followed with three straight singles victories to clinch the win. Boise State eventually received singles victories from Toby Mitchell, Brendan McClain, Andy Bettles, Brian Foley and Garrett Patton as they improved to 19-4 overall and 3-0 in conference.
McClain and Patton recorded the first win of the day at No. 1 doubles where they downed Utah State's Dennis Baumgartner and Marcus Fritz 8-2. Not long afterwards Boise State clinched the team point with Bettles' and Abe Hewko's 8-6 victory on court three. The third match was stopped once the team point was decided. However, the No. 2 doubles match featuring the Broncos' Toby Mitchell and Nathan Sereke was tied 6-6 when it ended.
Mitchell started the Broncos off in singles tallying a straight set 6-1, 6-4 victory at the sixth position. That was followed moments later by McClain's 6-0, 6-2 win over Matt Sweet on court four to put Boise State up 3-0 and within one of victory.
Andy Bettles gave Boise State the needed point when he defeated the Aggies' Baumgartner 6-4, 6-3 in the third consecutive straight set win for the Broncos of the day.
Utah State cut into the Broncos' lead (4-1) when Marcus Fritz recorded the Aggies' lone win of the match on court two. He downed Boise State sophomore Thomas Tenreiro 7-6 (6), 6-2.
The final two singles contests went to the Broncos as well with Brian Foley defeating Sebastian Schneider 7-5, 6-2 on court five, while Garrett Patton held off Fredrik Peterson at No. 3 singles 7-5, 6-7 (3), 10-3 to make the final score Broncos 6-1.
FINAL MATCH SUMMARY
Utah State (9-9, 0-2 MW) at No. 22 Boise State (19-4, 3-0 MW)
April 5, 2014 at Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
#22 Boise State 6, Utah State 1
1. Brendan McClain/Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Dennis Baumgartner/Marcus Fritz (USU) 8-2
2. Toby Mitchell/Nathan Sereke (BSU) vs. Fredrik Peterson/Andrew Whiting (USU) 6-6, unfinished
3. Andy Bettles/Abe Hewko (BSU) def. Sebastian Schneider/Matt Sweet (USU) 8-6
Order of finish: 1,3
1. #86 Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Dennis Baumgartner (USU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Marcus Fritz (USU) def. Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-2
3. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Fredrik Peterson (USU) 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 10-3
4. Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Matt Sweet (USU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Brian Foley (BSU) def. Sebastian Schneider (USU) 7-5, 6-2
6. Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Andrew Whiting (USU) 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 6,4,1,2,5,3