Sept. 4, 2014
Bronco Weekly talked with coach Garus about last week's action and what to look for at this week's Sears Sugar Bear Classic.
Quick Links for Week #2
Social Media Links
This Week for the Broncos
- Boise State hits the road for the Sears Sugar Bear Classic in Conway, Ark., this Friday and Saturday.
- The Broncos will play Tulsa at 9 a.m. (Mountain) and Central Arkansas (UCA) at 6 p.m. (Mountain) on Friday, both finished 2013 with top-50 RPIs.
- Boise State will conclude its weekend against Louisiana-Monroe (ULM) at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
- This is the first of three consecutive weekends on the road for the Broncos.
The Sears Sugar Bear Classic
- The Sears Sugar Bear Classic is hosted by the University of Central Arkansas, in Conway.
- All matches will be held at the Prince Center on the UCA campus.
- This is the first time that Boise State has participated in this tournament.
- Boise State is 2-5 all-time against the other three schools in the tournament: UCA (0-0), ULM (1-0) and Tulsa (1-5).
About the Opposition
Tulsa Golden Hurricane (2-1, 0-0 AAC)
- Tulsa went 2-1 last weekend as it opened the 2014 campaign at the Husky Classic hosted by Houston Baptist.
- The Golden Hurricane defeated Chattanooga 3-1 and Houston Baptist 3-0, before falling to Northern Arizona 3-1.
- Tulsa is led by preseason All-AAC selection Erica Bohannon who recorded 44 kills (4.0 kps) in three matches last week.
- Coach Ryan Willis is in his first season at Tulsa and his first as a collegiate head coach.
- Tulsa went 24-7 overall in 2013 and 12-2 in Conference USA to tie for second place.
- Tulsa moved this year to the American Athletic Conference (AAC) where they were picked to place fourth out of 11 schools.
- Tulsa and Boise State were once league rivals in the Western Athletic Conference (2001-2004).
- The Golden Hurricane own a 5-1 advantage over the Broncos in the all-time series. Boise State is 3-10 against the current membership of the AAC.
UCA Sugar Bears (0-3, 0-0 SLC)
- UCA's Sugar Bears are the two-time defending Southland Conference champions and winners of four league titles since 2009.
- UCA enters the week at 0-3 after dropping three at the Oregon Invitational last weekend, falling 3-1 to Illinois State, 3-0 to Oregon and 3-1 to Ohio State.
- Heather Schnars (31 kills, four blocks), Alicia Dittrich (14 kills, six blocks) and Fulani Petties (24 kills, eight blocks) lead UCA, all three were preseason All-SLC selections.
- The Southland coaches picked the Sugar Bears to win their third-straight league title in 2014.
- UCA and Boise State have never met in volleyball prior to this weekend. However, the Broncos are 1-1 against the current SLC membership, 1-0 versus A&M-Corpus Christi and 0-1 against Sam Houston State.
ULM Warhawks (2-2, 0-0 SBC)
- Louisiana-Monroe enters the week at 2-2 overall after competing in last week's Sam Houston State Invitational defeating: UT-Pan American and Mississippi State 3-0, while falling 3-0 to Sam Houston State and Cal State Bakersfield.
- The Warhawks are led by Marcela Araya who is the Sun Belt Conference's Preseason Defensive Player of the Year after setting ULM's season record for digs last season with 549, she has 66 this year. Offensively, they are led by Hope Pawlik with 38 kills (3.17 kps).
- ULM went 6-28 overall and 2-16 in the SBC in 2013.
- The Warhawks were picked to place 11th out of 11 schools in the 2014 Sun Belt race.
- Boise State won the only previous meeting between the two schools 3-0 in 2004 at Monroe.
BOISE STATE NOTEBOOK
- Three Week Stretch: Boise State is on the road for three straight weeks beginning this weekend.
- This Week: The Broncos will be in Conway, Ark., this week for the Sears Sugar Bear Classic.
- Next Week: Week three has them in Moscow, Idaho, for the Nike Invitational at Memorial Gym.
- Fourth Week of Season: The Islander Classic during week four wraps up the road stretch, as well as the nonconference portion of the schedule.
- Last Year: Boise State went 7-9 overall and 4-6 in MW play on the road in 2013 ... Broncos were 4-8 on the opponents' home courts and 3-1 on neutral floors.
- Hitting Percentage: During week one of the season Boise State hit 28.2 percent to rank third in the Mountain West.
- Best Match: Boise State's top single match hitting percentage came against Portland State Saturday morning (Aug. 30) at .387.
- Kills Total: Boise State recorded 148 kills in three matches at the Northwest Challenge in Boise last weekend for a 13.45 per set average to rank third in the conference.
Serving Up Aces
- Serving Last Week: Boise State recorded 18 service aces at the Northwest Challenge in three matches to average 1.64 per set, which ranks third in MW.
- RECORD: The Broncos served up 13 aces against Portland State (Aug. 30), tying for the most service aces in a four-set match during rally scoring era (2001-present) at Boise State.
- RECORD: Sophomore Maddy O'Donnell led the charge from the service line against Portland State with a career-high five aces, tying for the most in a four-set match during rally scoring era at Boise State.
Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team
- Sarah Baugh: The junior from Poulsbo, Wash., earned all-tournament honors by recording 14 kills, four service aces, 112 assists (10.2 aps), 17 digs and two blocks during the three matches played. In addition, Baugh dished out a career-high 47 assists against Portland State (Aug. 30).
- Sierra Nobley: Scottsdale, Ariz. native, Sierra Nobley was named to the all-tournament team after recording a Boise State-high 36 kills (3.27 kps), five assists, three aces, 15 digs and five blocks in her debut weekend. She led the Broncos attack with team-highs for kills against Portland State (16) and fourth-ranked Washington (11).
Bronco Nation Supports Volleyball
- Boise State hosted the Northwest Challenge last weekend to open the season and averaged 682 fans per match.
- Bronco Nation showed up in force against the fourth-ranked Washington Huskies when 1,013 fans cheered on the Blue and Orange in Bronco Gym (capacity 1,350).
- The Broncos had five players see their first action in the blue and orange last weekend at the Northwest Challenge.
- Four started the season opener against Gonzaga (Aug. 29) in redshirt-freshman middle blocker Kaitlyn Oliver (11 kills, one assist, one dig and two blocks); freshman outside hitter Sierra Nobley (nine kills, three assists, two aces, seven digs, one block); freshman libero Maddi Osburn (one assist, team-high 14 digs) and freshman Jaymee-Lee Bulda (one assist, three digs) who played defensive specialist.
- The fifth Bronco to debut over the opening weekend was redshirt middle blocker Laney Hayes (one assist, one ace and one dig) who saw her first action against No. 4 Washington (Aug. 30).
- Nobley made the Northwest Challenge All-Tournament team during her opening weekend as a Bronco.
Broncos Continue to Struggle in Season Openers
- The Broncos saw their losing streak in openers extended to seven straight with the loss to Gonzaga (Aug. 29).
- Boise State is now 17-19 in season openers since the 1979 campaign.
- The 2012 and 2013 seasons saw the Broncos open against Washington, which was ranked fifth nationally each year, resulting in two losses.
- Boise State's last victory in a season opener came at home in 2007 when the Broncos defeated UT San Antonio in straight sets during the Bronco Invitational.
- The Broncos are 9-5 all-time when opening at home.
- Shawn Garus is in his sixth season at the helm of the Broncos program where he is 77-82 to go with a career record 192-202, this is his 14th season.
Select Player Highlights
- Career High: Baugh recorded a career-high 47 assists against Portland State (Aug. 30), breaking her previous high of 44 against UNLV (Oct. 24, 2013).
- Baugh accumulated 112 assists during the three matches played at the Northwest Challenge in Boise (Aug. 29-30).
- MW Rank: After one weekend, Baugh is ranked third in the conference for assists per set at 10.18.
- All-Tournament: The junior setter was named to the Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team (Aug. 29-30).
- Ranked second on the team in total sets over the previous two seasons (2012-13) with 1,216.
- Career Rankings: Ranked sixth in career assists with 1,328 during the rally scoring era and fourth in assists per set average at 5.60.
- Has started the first three matches of season at outside hitter with first action coming against Gonzaga (Aug. 29) recording nine kills, three assists, two aces, seven digs and one block.
- MW Rank: Ranked fifth in league for kills per set at 3.27.
- Leads team in kills with 36 ... has led team twice in kills versus Portland State (16) and Washington (11).
- All-Tournament: Was was named to Northwest Challenge All-Tournament Team after recording 36 kills (3.27 kps), five assists, three aces, 15 digs and five blocks.
- Competed in 24 matches as a true freshman in 2013 season with 12 starts at middle blocker recording 104 kills and 45 blocks.
- Has started at middle blocker during the two matches played in 2014.
- MW Rank: Currently hitting a team-high 48.3 percent to rank second in conference ... leads MW in serving at 0.83 aces per set ... 11th in kills per set at 3.00.
- Redshirted in 2013 for Boise State.
- Tallest player on Bronco roster at 6-foot-4.
- Debuted for Broncos in opener against Gonzaga (Aug. 29) as the starter at middle blocker recording 11 kills, one assist, one dig with two blocks and hit team-best 39.1 percent.
- MW Rank: After one week is hitting 46.2 percent to rank third in MW, second on team.