Nov. 2, 2015
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (11/2/2015) - Boise State's Maddi Osburn and Sierra Nobley swept this week's Mountain West Conference Volleyball Players of the Week honors as announce by the league office this morning. Osburn was named the MW Defensive Player of the Week, the first of her career, while Nobley picked up her third MW Offensive Player of the Week honor this season. The two honors gives Boise State a program-best seven this year, six offensive and one defensive. This is also the first time the Broncos have swept both awards in the same week.
The Bronco tandem led Boise State to two big road victories over the weekend helping the Blue and Orange rally from two sets down to defeat rival Fresno State in a classic five-set battle on Thursday (Oct. 29), it was the second time this year and the 13th time in the last 17 meetings that the match went to five sets. The duo then led Boise State to a dominating sweep at UNLV on Saturday (Oct. 31) to hand the Rebels their first home loss of the year, their first since losing to Boise State last year in Las Vegas. The victories kept the Broncos in sole possession of second place in the league standings.
Osburn's Highlights for the Week
Nobley's Highlights for the Week
- Playing the libero position, Osburn was the defensive backbone for the Broncos last week averaging 28 digs per match and a solid 7.0 digs per set to help the Broncos hold their opponents to a combined 17.8 percent hitting on the week.
- She committed only four errors on 63 service receptions for a 93.7 reception percentage.
- Helped Boise State rally from two sets down to defeat Fresno State by recording a career-high 41 digs, including 21 in the final two sets (14 in fourth and 7 in fifth) as the Broncos rallied for the win 23-25, 22-25, 27-25, 25-20, 20-18.
- The 41 digs at Fresno State (Oct. 29) tied the school record for digs in a set … was a MW record for digs in a conference match and the fourth most for all contests … is a new MW sophomore record for digs in a match overall and in MW match … it is the most in the Mountain West this season and is tied for seventh-most in the NCAA this year (as of Oct. 29 NCAA statistics release).
- In the sweep at UNLV Osburn recorded a team-high 15 digs to help the Broncos hold the Rebels to 10.8 percent hitting as a team in the match.
- Nobley led Boise State to the sweep by recording back-to-back doubles-doubles giving her 10 on the season.
- Averaged team-highs for kills per match at 19 and per set at 4.75, while hitting 25.2 percent on the week - bettering her season marks for kills per set and hitting percentage - to go with 3.75 digs and 0.5 blocks per set.
- Led Boise State back from two sets down at Fresno State on Thursday (Oct. 29) recording a rare 20/20 double-double on a team-high 23 kills and second-best 20 digs with two blocks … that gave her nine double-doubles on the season and two of the Mountain West's six 20/20 double-doubles this year.
- At Fresno State she recorded 15 of her kills in the final three-set rally with five in the fifth set.
- In the sweep at UNLV on Saturday (Oct. 31), Nobley led the Broncos with her 10th double-double with a team-high 15 kills and 10 digs, hit 25.6 percent and had two blocks in the winning effort.
- She helped clinch the match in the third set with five kills … after the Broncos rallied from 22-21 down in set three, Nobley recorded the decisive kill ending the period and hand Boise State a 25-23 win for the match victory.