Dec. 20, 2015
Boise State (6-4) at Eastern Washington (6-5)WHAT'S HAPPENING
GAME PREVIEWEastern Washington | Monday, Dec. 21 | Cheney, Wash.Eastern Washington Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (6-4) will closeout its nonconference schedule Monday night on the road against Eastern Washington (6-5), tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Reese Court at Cheney.
- Next Up: Boise State will take a short Christmas break before returning to campus in preparation for the Mountain West Conference opener on Jan. 2 at Colorado State.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: EWU enters the game at 6-5 overall and is coming off a 72-60 home loss to Abilene Christian Friday night (Dec. 18).
- Affiliation: The Eagles are members of Boise State's former home the Big Sky Conference (1988-96).
- Preseason Poll: The Eagles were picked to place ninth out of 12 teams in the preseason coaches' poll.
- EWU Leaders: The Eagles are led by its sister combination of Hayley Hodgins who averages 19.8 points (1st BSC) and 3.9 rebounds per game and Delaney Hodgins averaging 14.2 ppg (7th BSC) and 6.3 rpg.
- EWU as a Team: Eastern is averaging 64.5 points (9th BSC) per game and allowing 63.3 (6th BSC) ... they are shooting 41.3 percent (3rd BSC) from the floor, 32.7 percent (6th BSC) from 3-point range and 71.9 percent (3rd BSC) from the free-throw line.
- Record: The Broncos enter Monday's game at 6-4 coming off a pair of wins a 84-77 home victory over Concordia (Ore.) last Sunday (Dec. 13) and a 84-66 win Saturday (Dec. 19) afternoon at Seattle.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year's MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.3 points (6th MW) and 5.4 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.3 points (10th MW) and team-high 6.5 rebounds (10th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 11.9 points (t-12th MW) per game and 5.6 rebounds.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 69.9 points (3rd MW) per game and is shooting 44 percent (1st MW) from the floor, 32.1 percent (1st MW) from the 3-point arc and 74.3 percent (2nd MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 60.3 points per game (3rd MW) on 37.9 percent (4th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.3 percent (1st MW) from beyond the arc.
- Miscellaneous Notes: Broncos are a +9.6 in scoring margin, +3.8 in rebound margin and a +0.8 in turnover margin.
- Record: This is the 50th meeting all-time between the two programs which dates back to March of 1973 ... the Broncos lead 29-20.
- Last Time: The Broncos won the last meeting in the series Dec. 14, 2014 in Boise by the score of 90-72.
- Former League Rivals: Boise State and EWU are former league rivals in three different conferences Northwest Women's Basketball League (1978-82), Mountain West Athletic Conference (1982-87) and the Big Sky (1988-96).
- Boise State vs. Big Sky: The Broncos are 230-175 all-time versus the current membership of the Big Sky Conference which includes a 80-77 home loss to Idaho State on Dec. 11.
ASKEW APPROACHING 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Presnell Sets Record: Head coach Gordy Presnell in his 11th season at Boise State set the school record for most wins by a coach at Portland on Dec. 6 with his 180th victory ... he is currently 182-142.
- Career Record: Coach Presnell is currently 578-269 (.682) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
ASKEW NEARS 500 REBOUNDS
- The Milestone: Miquelle Askew needs eight rebounds to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,020 points and 492 rebounds.
- The Club: Askew will be the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
BRONCO SHARP SHOOTING
- Miquelle Askew needs eight rebounds to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State as she currently sits at 492.
- She will be the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
PAHUKOA LEADING THE BRONCOS
- 100 Treys: Only 10 Broncos ever have made 100 or more 3-pointers in their careers ... both Yaiza Rodriguez and Brooke Pahukoa should reach that milestone this season.
- Yaiza Rodriguez: The junior from Barcelona, Spain, has the inside track to hit the mark first entering Friday's game with 97, 11th all-time.
- Brooke Pahukoa: The junior guard has had a larger challenge in front of her currently sitting tied for 14th all-time with 93.
FRESHMEN STEPPING IT UP
- Junior guard Brooke Pahukoa opened the season a little slow offensively scoring a combined total of nine points in the first two contests of the season.
- She has found her touch since recording double-figure points in six of eight contests since to average 17.1 points per game, she missed the Washington State game because of illness.
- She scored 22 points versus Utah Valley, 21 against Auburn, 18 in the win over Stetson, 19 at Portland and 22 at Seattle.
- Averages a team-high 14.3 points per game, sixth in MW.
- Boise State has six freshmen on this year's roster and several have stepped it up on occasion.
- Marijke Vanderschaaf has recorded five-straight games with double-figure points to average 13.2 points during the stretch.
- Marta Hermida has started every game and has scored seven or more points in six with two in double-digit points including 15 at Portland (Dec. 6) ... she also has three or more assists in seven games with a season-high eight versus Concordia (Dec. 13).
- In addition, Joyce Harrell and Ella Fotu are averaging 12.7 and 15 minutes per game, respectively.
- Boise State has lost four games this season by a combined total of 12 points ... twice by two points, once by three and a fourth by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.