March 26, 2015
TEMPE, Ariz. (3-26-2015) -- Boise State sand volleyball battled the Pac-12's Arizona State Sun Devils to the end before falling 3-2 in a tightly contested match on the road Thursday night in Tempe, Ariz. Boise State recorded two victories against ASU by the pairs of Kaitlyn Oliver and Maddi Osburn, as well as Taylor Murphey and Laney Hayes, the first wins of the season.
The loss dropped the Broncos to 0-2 on the year as they head to Tucson, Ariz., tomorrow to participate in the Wildcat Spring Challenge starting Friday afternoon. Boise State will face No. 10 Arizona, Nebraska and Cal State Northridge, respectively, at the tournament that runs Friday through Saturday.
Murphey and Hayes gave the Broncos a 1-0 lead when they teamed up for a straight-set win 21-13, 25-23 versus Kwyn Johnson and Mia Rivera on court five. It was the first win for a Boise State pair in the young season.
Oliver and Osburn followed by recording a three-set victory at No. 4 pair 21-15, 12-21, 15-12 over the Sun Devils' Whitney Follette and Halle Harker.
Boise State jumped out to an early 2-0 lead against Arizona State with the wins on courts four and five. Unfortunately, the Blue and Orange could not hold on as the Sun Devils rallied to win the top three positions to claim the team victory.
Hannah Hubbard and Maddy O'Donnell won the first set against Arizona State's top pair of Bianca Arellano and Macey Gardner on court one. The Bronco tandem battled hard but could not prevent the Sun Devils from rallying for the three-set victory 19-21, 21-19, 15-6 in what proved to be the deciding match on the night.
Arizona State 3, Boise State 2
1. Bianca Arellano/Macey Gardner (ASU) def. Hannah Hubbard/Maddy O'Donnell (BSU): 19-21, 21-19, 15-6
2. Bethany Jorgensen/Jordy Checkal (ASU) def. Sarah Baugh/Sierra Nobley (BSU): 21-15, 21-18
3. Kizzy Willey/Sydney Palmer (ASU) def. Katelyn Kinghorn/Aly Duffin (BSU): 21-8, 27-25
4. Kaitlyn Oliver/Maddi Osburn (BSU) def. Whitney Follette/Halle Harker (ASU): 21-15, 12-21, 15-12
5. Taylor Murphey/Laney Hayes (BSU) def. Kwyn Johnson/Mia Rivera (ASU): 21-13, 25-23