Oct. 19, 2016
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Boise State's Kiwi konnection of Kyle Butters and Jack Heslin both advanced to the round of 32 at the ITA Mountain Regional in Las Vegas Wednesday. Boise State's two New Zealanders led the six member Bronco contingent at the regional today as the group went a combined 6-4 in singles and 1-1 in doubles.
Butters, who is seeded ninth, opened his day with a easy straight set victory 6-1, 6-1 over Weber State's Cezary Walkusz in the round of 128. He followed that win up later Wednesday with another two set win in the round of 64 6-3, 6-0 over Montana's Alex Canellopoulos. The sophomore will now advance into the round of 32 Thursday morning against Idaho State's Quentin Wacquez at 11:30 a.m. (Mountain).
Heslin competing in his first regional in a Bronco uniform began the tournament with a quick straight win as well, defeating UNLV's Peter Horvath 6-0, 6-1. He then added a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Idaho State's Sebastian Eden in the second round. The two victories moved him into Thursday's third round against Utah State's Kai Wehnelt at 11:30 a.m. (Mountain).
Sophomore Greg Wischer joined the victory show in the opening round with a tough two set victory in which both went to tiebreakers. Wischer came out on top defeating Hou-En Chen of Weber State 7-6 (3), 7-6 (6). Unfortunately, his run at the regional stalled in the round of 64 as he fell to Denver's Yannick James of Denver 6-3, 6-3. He will now move into the consolation bracket.
Pedro Platzeck rounded out the Broncos winning ways during the opening round when he downed Utah State's Dan Echeverry 6-4, 4-2. Platzeck then moved into the round of 64 against Felipe Fonseca of Idaho in three sets 6-7, 6-3, 6-1. He will also continue on in the consolation draw.
Boise States' Ryland McDermott and Morgan Stone both lost their first round singles matches. McDermott lost a tight one 2-6, 6-3, 6-3, to Idaho's Lucas Coutinho, while Stone fell 6-4, 6-4 to Richard Solberg of UNLV. Both will compete in the consolation draw Thursday.
Doubles was light on the day with two of the Broncos' three pairs competing. Butters and Heslin received a bye into the second round on Thursday.
Platzeck and Wischer teamed up for the regional and opened against a split team featuring Scott Hintze of Weber State and JD Milan from BYU. The Boise State tandem won the match in a tiebreaker 7-6 (5). They will now move into the round of 32 on Thursday where they will face Utah's Parker McGuiness and David Micevski at 10 a.m. (Mountain).
The team of McDermott and Morgan Stone lost their opener to a team from New Mexico's Ricky Hernandez Tong and Rodolfo Jauregui.
32. Jack Heslin (BSU) vs. Kai Wehnelt (Utah State) at 11:30 a.m.
C64. Ryland McDermott 9BSU) vs. Derek Vincent (BYU) 2 p.m.
C64. Morgan Stone (BSU) vs. Greg Wischer (BSU) 2 p.m.
32. Kyle Butters (BSU) vs. Quentin Wacquez (Idaho State) 11:30 a.m.
32. Platzeck/Wischer (BSU) vs. Parker McGuiness/David Micevski (Utah) at 10 a.m.
32. Butters/Heslin (BSU) vs. TBD
C32. Stone/McDermott (BSU) vs. TBD
ITA Mountain Regional
Las Vegas, Nev.
Oct. 19, 2016
128. Jack Heslin (BSU) def. Peter Horvath (UNLV) 6-0, 6-1
64. Jack Heslin (BSU) def. Sebastian Eden (Idaho State) 6-4, 6-2
128. Lucas Coutinho (Idaho) def. Ryland McDermott (BSU) 2-6; 6-3; 6-3
128. Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. Morgan Stone (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
128. Kyle Butters (BSU) def. Cezary Walkusz (Weber State) 6-1, 6-1
64. Kyle Butters (BSU) def. Alex Canellopoulos (Montana) 6-3, 6-0
128. Greg Wischer (BSU) def. Hou-En Chen (Weber State) 7-6(3), 7-6(6)
64. Yannick James (Denver) def. Greg Wischer (BSU) 6-3, 6-3
128. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) def. Dan Echeverry (Utah State) 6-4, 6-2
64. Felipe Fonseca (Idaho) def. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) 6-7, 6-3, 6-1
64. Platzeck/Wischer (BSU) def. Scott Hintze (Weber State)/JD Milan (BYU) 7-6 (5)
64. Ricky Hernandez Tong/Rodolfo Jauregui (New Mexico) def. McDermott/Stone (BSU) 8-2