Feb. 13, 2016
PROVO, Utah -
PROVO, Utah-- Boise State men's tennis fell 4-0 at BYU Saturday, dropping a tightly-contested doubles point and the first three singles matches that concluded. The No. 59 Broncos (5-4) suffered their third sweep of the season while the Cougars (7-1) recorded their fourth home sweep of the year.
"We had some great opportunities and didn't take advantage," said head coach Greg Patton. "It looked like we were going to win the doubles point, but couldn't put it away. It was kind of a wake-up call for our team and we're going to make sure we get out of bed and answer the call."
Toby Mitchell and Kyle Butters squeaked out a 7-5 win at No. 1 doubles and left the team point hinging on court two's outcome. Abe Hewko and Lewis Roskilly forced a tiebreak against BYU's Keaton Cullimore and Andrew Goryachkov, but the Cougar duo pulled out a 7-4 decision in the tiebreaker to claim the doubles point.
Butters suffered a straight-sets defeat to start singles on court three. Hewko, after taking the first set, eventually succumbed in a 6-0 third set on court four. Mitchell battled on court two to force a third set, but could not complete the comeback.
Brian Foley was up in the third set on court one when BYU claimed the clinching point and brought the match to an end.
The Broncos will close out the road trip Monday, with a match at Idaho State. The match begins at noon at Juniper Hills Country Club in Pocatello, Idaho.
BYU 4 No. 59 Boise State 0
1. Mitchell/Butters (Boise State) def. Bourgeois/Monroe (BYU) 7-5
2. Cullimore/Goryachkov (BYU) def. Hewko/Roskilly (Boise State) 7-6 (7-4)
3. Pearce/Sullivan (BYU) def. Foley/Platzek (Boise State) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Shane Monroe (BYU) vs. Brian Foley (Boise State) Unfinished (6-4, 2-6, 5-4)
2. Keaton Cullimore (BYU) def. Toby Mitchell (Boise State) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Andrey Goryachkov (BYU) def. Kyle Butters (Boise State) 6-3, 6-3
4. Jacob Sullivan (BYU) def. Abe Hewko (Boise State) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-0
5. John Pearce (BYU) vs. Pedro Platzek (Boise State) Unfinished (4-6)
6. Lewis Roskilly (Boise State) vs. Jeremy Bourgeois (BYU) No Result
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2