March 23, 2016
MONTECITO, Calif. - Boise State women's tennis kicked off its spring break trip with an 8-1 win Wednesday, against NAIA power Westmont. The teams used the NAIA-preferred nine-point scoring format in which each doubles match counts for a full team point.
After Boise State took the first two doubles matches, Westmont's top pair got the Warriors on the board with an 8-3 win. The teams headed to singles with Boise State clinging to a one-point lead, but the Broncos responded by sweeping the singles competition.
"This was a good start to our spring break trip and it was good to get a solid match in the California weather and speed," said head coach Beck Roghaar. "Westmont is one of the top NAIA programs in the country so it was nice to see our players and team step up to the challenge today and go through the matches like we did."
Arianna Paules Aldrey and Nancy Menjivar got things started on courts five and six, respectively. Paules Aldrey and Menjivar each quickly logged 6-0, 6-0 wins.
Hanna Kantenwein was next off at No. 1 singles, securing a 6-3, 6-2 win for the clinching point. Kantenwein's win handed Lauren Stratman just her third loss of the year (18-3). Stratman was part of the tandem that won at No. 1 doubles against the Broncos.
Bobbi Oshiro, Teal Vosburgh and Megan LaLone also recorded victories for the Broncos in singles competition. Vosburgh rallied after dropping the first set to win 4-6, 6-0, 10-6.
"We have an awesome test and opportunity tomorrow, when we take on nationally-ranked UCSB," said Roghaar. "Our focus has been set on getting the job done tomorrow, as well."
The match with the No. 69 Gauchos begins Thursday, at 10 a.m. on the UC Santa Barbara campus.
Boise State 8 Westmont 1
1. Stratman/Lee (Westmont) def. LaLone/de Hart (Boise State) 8-3
2. Kantenwein/Toseva (Boise State) def. Costamagua/Strandness (Westmont) 8-2
3. Paules Aldrey/Oshiro (Boise State) def. Clement/Rivera (Westmont) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
Singles Results 1. Kantenwein (Boise State) def. Stratman (Westmont) 6-3, 6-2
2. Oshiro (Boise State) def. Costamagua (Westmont) 6-2, 6-3
3. Vosburgh (Boise State) def. Lee (Westmont) 4-6, 6-0, 10-6
4. LaLone (Boise State) def. Strandness (Westmont) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paules Aldrey (Boise State) def. Clement (Westmont) 6-0, 6-0
6. Menjivar (Boise State) def. Huber (Westmont) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5, 6, 1, 2, 3, 4