March 24, 2016
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Boise State women's tennis had its three-match win streak halted by No. 69 UC Santa Barbara Thursday, in Santa Barbara, Calif. The Broncos (7-8) fell 6-1, picking up a win from Hanna Kantenwein at No. 1 singles.
"Today was a high-quality, high-level college tennis match that we unfortunately came out on the wrong end of," said head coach Beck Roghaar. "This UCSB team is very good and is coming off some impressive wins. Our team fought for it and can take a lot away from this one."
Kantenwein rallied after dropping her first set to come back and defeat Lou Alder 2-6, 6-4, 10-6. The Bronco freshman is now 7-6 on the year, including a 5-3 mark at the No. 1 singles position. Teal Vosburgh played at No. 3 singles and took her match to three sets before falling 7-5 in the decisive stanza.
The Gauchos took the doubles point with wins on courts two and three. Boise State's top tandem of Megan LaLone and Naomi de Hart battled on court one with the 11th-ranked pair in the country and trailed 5-3 in a match that went unfinished as the other two courts finished, giving the Gauchos the point.
"We are closer to where we need to be than even a few weeks ago, so I'm very encouraged about that heading into the conference portion of our season," said Roghaar. "We'll take this loss on the chin and come back stronger."
The Broncos will close nonconference play April 2, at Montana State. The final three weeks of the regular season will feature five Mountain West matches, including three at home.
#69 UC Santa Barbara 6 Boise State 1
1. #11 Stojic/Dubavets (UCSB) vs de Hart/LaLone (Boise State) DNF (5-3)
2. Yamada/Baker (UCSB) def. Kantenwein/Toseva (Boise State) 6-1
3. Adler/Atanasson (UCSB) def. Paules Aldrey/Oshiro (Boise State) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1. Hanna Kantenwein (Boise State) def. Lou Adler (UCSB) 2-6, 6-4, 10-6
2. Palina Dubavets (UCSB) def. Bobbi Oshiro (Boise State) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jaimee Gilbertson (UCSB) def. Teal Vosburgh (Boise State) 6-2, 0-6, 7-5
4. Natalie Da Silveira (UCSB) def. Megan LaLone (Boise State) 6-0, 6-4
5. Stephanie Yamada (UCSB) def. Milena Toseva (Boise State) 6-4, 6-1
6. Melissa Baker (UCSB) def. Arianna Paules Aldrey (Boise State) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4, 6, 1, 3