March 7, 2016
No. 3 Boise State (19-10, 12-6 MW) at No. 6 UNLV (17-13, 9-9 MW)
- The Game: Boise State (19-10, 12-6 MW) will open its title defense at the 2016 Mountain West Women's Basketball Championship at 9:30 p.m. (Mountain) in the last quarterfinal game against No. 6 UNLV (17-13, 9-9 MW) who defeated No. 11 Air Force (1-29, 1-17 MW) 55-42 in Monday's first round.
- Next Up: If the Broncos were to win on Tuesday they would advance into the semifinal round and play in the second game on Wednesday night at 9 p.m. (Mountain).
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games throughout the postseason. Chris Lewis is in his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
BRONCO FASTBREAK NOTES
- Defending Champs: The Broncos are the defending tournament champions defeating the New Mexico Lobos 66-60 in last year's title game ... Boise State has won two conference tournament titles all-time including the 2007 Western Athletic Conference championship.
- Seeding: This year's No. 3 seed is the best for the Broncos in five MW Tournament appearances ... they were the No. 4 seed at the previous two tournaments.
- MW Tournament Record: Boise State is 4-3 all-time in the MW Basketball Championship ... the Broncos are 18-25 all-time in conference tournaments.
- Win No. 20: Boise State is looking for win number 20 on Tuesday night entering the game at 19-10 overall ... it would be the seventh 20-win season in program history, second straight and fourth under coach Presnell.
- Brooke Pahukoa and Shalen Shaw are 2016 All-Mountain West honorees, Miquelle Askew was honorable mention.
- Marta Hermida is the 2016 Mountain West Freshman of the Year and an MW All-Freshman Team honoree.
- Boise State returns Brooke Pahukoa last year's MW tournament MVP and all-tournament team member, as well as Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego who was all-tournament.
- Boise State is ranked 30th nationally and second in the MW for free throw percentage at .751.
- Four of Boise State's starters averaged double figure points during conference play led by Brooke Pahukoa (13.8 ppg), Miquelle Askew (12.2 ppg), Shalen Shaw (12.2 ppg) and Marta Hermida (10.7 ppg).
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego leads Boise State from the point guard position where she has dished out a school record 163 assists this season and is ranked second in program history with 415 in her career ... she tied the school record for assists in a game with 13 in the overtime win at Nevada on March 1.
- Marta Hermida has led the Broncos in scoring over the last nine games (since Feb. 1) averaging a team-high 12.2 points and 4.6 rebounds (third on team) per game ... averages 9.2 ppg on the year ... she has 12 double-digit scoring games with 10 coming during league play.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team in scoring on the year at 14.6 points per game, fourth in the MW ... she has 18 double-figure scoring games in 2015-16 including nine with 20-plus and a career-high 30 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21).
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW and is ranked eighth nationally for 3-point percentage at .440 ... she tied the school record for 3-pointers made in a game in win over San Jose State (March 4) with eight.
- Shalen Shaw has 11 double-doubles this season, the most recent coming last week at Nevada (March 1) with 14 points and 15 rebounds, both team highs, followed by 19 points and 13 rebounds in win over San Jose State (March 4) ... her 10 double-doubles in league play is a conference high.
- Shalen Shaw is the third Bronco ever to average a double-double during league play on 12.2 points and 10.1 rebounds, the last was 36 years ago during the 1979-80 season.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 13 of the last 19 games ... she ranks second in the MW on the year at 8.9 rebounds per game and first during league play at 10.1 rpg.
- Miquelle Askew is tied for second on the team in scoring with Shaw at 12.3 points per game (t-12th MW) ... she is currently ninth on the career scoring list with 1,259 points.
- Miquelle Askew is averaging 4.8 rebounds per game and is ranked 15th in program history for career rebounds with 574.
MOUNTAIN WEST QUARTERFINAL PREVIEW
UNLV | Tuesday, March 8 | Las Vegas, Nev.
No. 3 Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Broncos enter the tournament as the No. 3 seed at 19-10 overall and 12-6 in MW play ... they have won three straight, 68-63 over San Diego State (Feb. 27), 64-61 in overtime at Nevada (March 1) and most recently 81-69 over San Jose State (March 4).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.6 points (4th MW) and 5.3 rebounds (18th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.3 points (t-12th MW) and 4.8 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw averages 12.3 points (t-12th MW) and team-high 8.9 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 10.1 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 68.8 points (3rd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 41.5 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 33.5 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 75.1 percent (2nd MW / 30th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.6 points per game (7th MW) on 39.5 percent (7th MW) shooting from the floor and 31.1 percent (6th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year's MW preseason poll.
No. 6 UNLV Scouting Report
- Record: The Lady Rebels finished sixth in the MW standings at 9-9 and are 17-13 overall ... they closed the regular season with a split falling 80-57 at Wyoming (Feb. 27) before defeating San Diego State 62-51 (March 4) ... the beat Air Force 55-42 in Monday's MW first round.
- Preseason Poll: The Lady Rebels were picked to place fifth out of 11 teams in the preseason MW coaches/media poll.
- UNLV Leaders: On the year, Dakota Gonzalez (Pocatello, Idaho) leads the Lady Rebels averaging 14 points (7th MW) and 4.7 rebounds per game ... Brooke Johnson adds 13.7 points (8th MW) and team-high 2.8 assists (13th MW) per game.
- UNLV as a Team: On the year, UNLV averages 61.1 points (8th MW) per game and allows 59.3 (3rd MW) ... UNLV is shooting 35.6 percent (10th MW) from the floor, 30 percent (6th MW) from 3-point range and 66.7 percent (8th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, UNLV holds opponents to 38.2 percent (4th MW) from the floor and 33.1 percent (7th MW) from beyond the arc.
The UNLV Series
- Record: If the Broncos and Lady Rebels meet in the quarterfinals it will be the 14th meeting all-time ... Boise State leads the overall series 7-6, while UNLV leads the MW regular season series 6-4.
- Interesting Series Note: So much for a home court advantage. Strangely enough when it comes to the Broncos and Lady Rebels the visiting team leads the series on the opponent's home floor.
- In Las Vegas: The Broncos lead the series played in Las Vegas by a 5-3 margin ... the Lady Rebels did win in Las Vegas this year by a 78-68 score on Feb. 24.
- In Boise: UNLV leads the series when playing in Boise by a 3-2 advantage ... Boise State won at home on Jan. 27 by a 75-56 score.
- In Mountain West Championship: UNLV and Boise State have met once in the tournament, that was in last year's quarterfinals with the Broncos winning 64-46.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 126-94 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.