Oct. 28, 2017
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State women's tennis went 7-2 on Saturday at the Barb Chandler Classic in Boise and will play for three of six championships on Sunday. Boise State continued to dominate its home tournament as the Broncos are now a combined 15-3 in singles and doubles over the first two days.
Three Broncos Lilian Poling, Wilhelmina Palmer and Vanessa Timm will all play for singles titles in their respective flights Sunday, joined by the doubles team of Poling and Palmer who will go for the main draw's championship.
The tournament was originally scheduled to be played in its entirety at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center, but a power outage Saturday morning in Boise forced it outdoors to the Appleton Tennis Center on what turned out to be a beautiful fall day outside. As a result, all of Sunday's championship matches will be played at the Appleton Tennis Center as well.
Poling was absolutely on fire Saturday sweeping both singles opponents recording victories over Eastern Washington's Zoey Nelson 6-0, 6-2 in the blue flight's quarterfinals, followed by a 6-2, 6-1 win in the semifinals over EWU's Stephanie Broussard.
Palmer, a freshman from Sweden, also swept both opponents to advance into Sunday's blue flight title match. Palmer defeated Utah State's Hannah Jones 7-6(3), 6-2 in the quarterfinal round, then blew past EWU's Faye Worrall 6-0, 6-3 during the semifinals.
Vanessa Timm advanced to the orange flight's championship match with two wins on Saturday to improve to 3-0 at the tournament. The freshman from Denmark cruised past Angela Walker of Idaho State in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, then downed Montana's Bianca Bostrom in two 7-6, 7-5 in the semifinal.
The Broncos had only one doubles team advance through to Saturday's semifinal round where Poling and Palmer dominated Mountain West rival Utah State's tandem of Haleas and Rhoda Tanui 8-1.
Championship Sunday for the Broncos will start at 11 a.m. when Poling and Palmer take on EWU's Faye Worrall and Zoey Nelson for the doubles main draw championship.
That will be followed by the four singles title matches in the blue flight's main and consolation draws, as well as the orange flight's main and consolation draws. Poling and Palmer will face each other for the blue flight's main draw championship, while Timm will play Utah State's Sophia Haleas for the orange flight's main draw title.
Barb Chandler Classic
Boise, Idaho (Appleton Tennis Center)
Oct. 28, 2017
Blue Flight Singles
- QF. Wilhelmina Palmer (Boise State) def. Hannah Jones (Utah State) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
- QF. Lilian Poling (Boise State) def. Zoey Nelson (Eastern Washington) 6-0, 6-2
- QF. Stephanie Broussard (Eastern Washington) def. Wiktoria Nosek (Boise State) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
- SF. Lilian Poling (Boise State) def. Stephanie Broussard (Eastern Washington) 6-2, 6-1
- SF. Wilhelmina Palmer (Boise State) def. Faye Worrall (Eastern Washington) 6-0, 6-3
Orange Flight Singles
- QF. Rachel Swindell (Eastern Washington) def. Jovana Kuljanin (Boise State) 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
- QF. Vanessa Timm (Boise State) def. Angela Walker (Idaho State) 6-2, 6-2
- SF. Vanessa Timm (Boise State) def. Bianca Bostrom (Montana) 7-6, 7-5