March 25, 2017
LAS VEGAS - Anja Dokic became the first Bronco to defeat a nationally-ranked singles opponent since 2011, but Boise State fell 6-1 at No. 42 UNLV Saturday. Dokic upset 27th-ranked Carol Yang on court one, winning 6-1, 0-6, 6-4.
The battle at the top singles position was one of three matches to go to three sets. UNLV emerged in the other two third sets, including a tiebreaker on court two.
"Today was a tough match for us," said head coach Beck Roghaar. "A lot of matches came down to the wire. We definitely feel like we learned a lot. It was great to come down and play the defending conference champions on their home courts."
Boise State returns home next weekend to continue Mountain West play. The Broncos host Colorado State (Friday, March 31) and Wyoming (Sunday, April 2). The matches will be played outdoors at the Appleton Tennis Center, weather permitting.
"We really see exactly what we need to improve on and the good news is those things are very doable and fixable," said Roghaar.
#42 UNLV 6 Boise State 1
March 25, 2017 | Las Vegas
1. Aiwen Zhu/En-Pei Huang (UNLV) vs. Poling,Lilian/Dokic,Anja (Boise State) 5-2, unfinished
2. Carol Yang/Cristina Moroi (UNLV) def. Kuljanin,Jovana/Nosek,Wiktoria (Boise State) 6-2
3. Paola Artiga/Anna Bogoslavets (UNLV) def. Kantenwein,Hanna/Menjivar,Nancy (Boise State) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2
1. Dokic,Anja (Boise State) def. #27 Carol Yang (UNLV) 6-1, 0-6, 6-4
2. Aiwen Zhu (UNLV) def. Kantenwein,Hanna (Boise State) 6-4, 6-0
3. En-Pei Huang (UNLV) def. Poling,Lilian (Boise State) 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (5)
4. Anna Bogoslavets (UNLV) def. Nosek,Wiktoria (Boise State) 6-1, 6-1
5. Paola Artiga (UNLV) def. Menjivar,Nancy (Boise State) 6-3, 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Jovana Kenic (UNLV) def. Venter,Kirsty (Boise State) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 1, 5, 3