March 5, 2017
Final Stats | Photo Gallery
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State women's tennis made a late push in singles, but came up just short against Oregon in a 4-3 loss Sunday, at the Boas Indoor Tennis Center. Lilian Poling, Anja Dokic and Kirsty Venter were victorious in singles play.
The Broncos (7-4) dropped the doubles point, but fought back against an Oregon team that swept Boise State 7-0 last year. The home team took the first set in four matches and Venter ensured there would not be another sweep, winning on court six in the first singles match to finish.
"We did a nice job recovering from losing the doubles points," said head coach Beck Roghaar, "but that's an issue right there. We need to make sure we come out ready to go. Today we got off to a bit of a slow start but I was really, really proud of the effort after we dug that hole."
After Oregon took the next two matches, the Ducks were one win away from clinching the match. Dokic battled for a 7-6 (5), 7-5 win at the No. 3 position to keep Boise State alive as the top two courts each went to a third set.
The Ducks secured the win thanks to a come-from-behind win at No. 1 singles. Poling finished off the day with a 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 win on court two.
"Everybody is getting better," Roghaar said. "We lost two matches this weekend and can look at that a couple of different ways. On one hand it's disappointing, but on the other there are encouraging things. What we see happening out there is what we've been focusing on trying to get better."
The Broncos hit the road for their next four matches, starting March 12 at Montana.
Oregon 4 Boise State 3
March 5, 2017
Boise, Idaho | Boas Indoor Tennis Center
1. Sangwan/Tobita (Oregon) def. Poling/Dokic (Boise State) 6-3
2. Kantenwein/Kuljanin (Boise State) vs. Kluiving/Eshet (Oregon) Unfinished (5-4)
3. Rose/Gomez (Oregon) def. Kuljanin/Menjivar (Boise State) 6-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3
1. Shweta Sangwan (Oregon) def. Hanna Kantenwein (Boise State) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Lilian Poling (Boise State) def. Alyssa Tobita (Oregon) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
3. Anja Dokic (Boise State) def. Nia Rose (Oregon) 7-6 (5), 7-5
4. Julia Eshet (Oregon) def. Wiktoria Nosek (Boise State) 6-4, 6-1
5. Marlou Kluiving (Oregon) def. Nancy Menjivar (Boise State) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kirsty Venter (Boise State) def. Paloma Gomez (Oregon) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 4, 5, 3, 1, 2