Jan. 22, 2018
BOISE, Idaho - Boise State closed its opening weekend on Monday by hosting the 17th-ranked Michigan Wolverines who defeated the Broncos 7-0 at the Boise Racquet and Swim Club.
Boise State lost the doubles point to Michigan 2-0 with the Wolverines recording wins on courts two and three. After Michigan took No. 2 doubles 6-2, Boise State's tandem of Mattia Bedolo and Wyatt DeMulling led their match early only to see the Wolverines' brother duo of Kristofer and Mattias Siimar rally to win No. 3 doubles 6-4.
The young Broncos struggled in singles against one of the top teams in the nation. Michigan won all six matches in straight sets to claim the 7-0 victory over Boise State.
Highlights from this weekend were the debuts of several new Broncos. Matteo Tinelli and Stefan Lalovic, who arrived on campus last fall, both saw their first action for Boise State in a team dual. Tinelli played No. 1 singles and doubles, while Lalovic played on court five in singles and court two in doubles.
In addition, two of this spring's newcomers Wyatt DeMulling and Mattia Bedolo also debuted for the first time as Broncos in a team dual. DeMulling played both matches at No. 3 singles and doubles, while Bedolo, who is nursing an injury, played at No. 3 doubles today against the Wolverines.
After starting the season with two top-50 programs in Big Ten powers Northwestern on Sunday and No. 17 Michigan today the Broncos schedule will ease up a bit over the next couple weeks. Boise State (0-2) will host Whitman College next Saturday at the Eagle Tennis Club looking to hand coach Greg Patton his 800th career victory as a collegiate head coach.
#17 Michigan (2-0) vs Boise State (0-2)
Jan 22, 2018 at Boise, Idaho
(Boise Racquet & Swim Club)
#17 Michigan 7, Boise State 0
1. Jack Heslin/Matteo Tinelli (BSU) vs. Runhao Hua/Alex Knight (MICH) 4-4, unfinished
2. Connor Johnston/Gabe Tishman (MICH) def. Stefan Lalovic/Pedro Platzeck (BSU) 6-2
3. Kristofer Siimar/Mattias Siimar (MICH) def. Mattia Bedolo/Wyatt DeMulling (BSU) 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3
1. Alex Knight (MICH) def. Matteo Tinelli (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Runhao Hua (MICH) def. Jack Heslin (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Myles Schalet (MICH) def. Wyatt DeMulling (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Mattias Siimar (MICH) def. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Carter Lin (MICH) def. Stefan Lalovic (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Davis Crocker (MICH) def. Ryland McDermott (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 4,1,6,2,3,5