April 26, 2018
SAN DIEGO, Calif. - Matteo Tinelli led the Broncos with a straight set win at No. 3 singles, but it was not enough as Boise State fell to top-seeded Utah State 4-2 in the Mountain West quarterfinals on Thursday at San Diego. Boise State opened by claiming the doubles point with wins by Stefan Lalovic and Pedro Platzeck on court two followed by Jack Heslin and Kyle Butters' victory on court one. Tinelli was the lone Broncos to record a singles victory as Boise State's season comes to a end at 9-19 overall.
The Broncos made a major improvement in this match compared to the regular season meeting at Logan when the blue and orange fell 4-0 to the Aggies. Today Boise State took the early momentum winning the doubles point 2-0 with wins at the No. 2 and 1 positions, respectively.
Lalovic and Platzeck finished just ahead of Heslin and Butters when they downed USU's Valdemar Holm and Andrew Nakajima 6-3 at the second position. Heslin and Butters finished just moments later defeating the Aggies top tandem of Jame Barajas and Jose Carvajal 6-3 to clinch the team point.
Up one heading into the singles portion of the match Boise State needed three wins to the victory. Utah State rallied quickly claiming two wins on court one and six to take a 2-1 lead.
Tinelli then evened the match score at 2-2 when he dispatched Utah State's Valdemar Holm in straight sets 6-3, 6-3 on court three.
Unfortunately that was the only singles victory on the day for the Broncos as Utah State closed out the contest with victories at No. 5 and 2 singles, respectively.
Mountain West Quarterfinal
#8 Boise State (9-19) vs. #1 Utah State (16-8)
April 26, 2018 at San Diego, Calif. (Aztec Tennis Center)
Utah State def. Boise State 4-2
1. J. Heslin/Buters (BSU) def. Barajas/Carvajal (USU) 6-3
2. Lalovic/Platzeck (BSU) def. Holm/Nakajima (USU) 6-3
3. Ryland McDermot/Tinelli (BSU) vs. Vashistha/Acosta (USU) 3-4 DNF
Order of finish: 2,1
1. Jaime Barajas (USU) def. Jack Heslin (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Sergiu Bucur (USU) def. Kyle Butters (BSU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Matteo Tinelli (BSU) def. Valdemar Holm (USU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Wyat DeMulling (BSU) vs. Felipe Acosta (USU) 4-6, 6-6 DNF
5. Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Pedro Platzeck (BSU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Aditya Vashistha (USU) def. Max Blancaneaux (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 1,6,3,5,2