Boise State Photo Services
Idaho State Invitational
Pocatello, Idaho | Reed Gym
Friday-Saturday (Aug. 31-Sept. 1)
WHAT IS HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State (2-0) continues three-straight weeks on the road as the Broncos travel to Pocatello, Idaho, for the Idaho State Invitational this Friday and Saturday, all contests will be played in Reed Gym.
- The Broncos open up with the Milwaukee Panthers (0-4) at noon on Friday. These programs have met once before with the Broncos winning 3-0 in 1992.
- Boise State will play two matches on Saturday beginning with the UC Riverside Highlanders (2-1) at 10 a.m. The Broncos have faced UCR once before defeating the Highlanders 3-1 in 2015.
- The tournament wraps up with the instate battle versus the Idaho State Bengals (2-3) at 7 p.m. on Saturday. The all-time series is tied at 33 wins apiece, including two-straight wins by Boise State in 2016 and 2017.
BOISE STATE WINS PORTLAND STATE'S TOURNAMENT
BRONCOS EDGE LONG BEACH STATE
- Boise State opened the season last weekend at the Viking Summer Spike Invitational at Portland State where the Broncos went undefeated at 2-0 to claim the title.
BOISE STATE DOWNS PORTLAND STATE
- The Broncos started the tournament with a hard fought battle Friday (Aug. 24) against Long Beach State defeating the 49ers 3-2, their first win ever over traditional-power Long Beach State who has three national titles to its credit.
- Senior Sabryn Roberts led Boise State versus the 49ers with team highs for kills (13) and digs (14).
- Freshman Jessica Donahue had a impressive debut with a double-double on 12 kills and team-high 10 blocks, setting the Boise State freshman record for blocks in a match against the 49ers.
BRONCOS BY THE NUMBERS
- On Saturday (Aug. 25) the Blue and Orange completed the weekend sweep with a 3-1 victory over Portland State.
- Once again Sabryn Roberts led the Broncos with a double-double on team-high 20 kills and 13 digs.
- Morgan Hughes added 13 kills.
- Jessica Donahue chipped in with 10 kills and team-best six blocks.
BRONCOS IN SEASON OPENERS
- Leaders: Sabryn Roberts leads Boise State with 33 kills (3.67 kps) ... Jessica Donahue adds 22 kills (2.44 kps) and team-high 16 blocks (1.78 bps) ... Morgan Hughes has 18 kills (2.00 kps).
- Team: As a team the Broncos are hitting 19.1 percent while holding opponents to 14.7 ... they average 11.56 kills, 10.44 assists, 2.33 aces, 13.56 digs and 2.56 blocks per set.
- Record: Following last week's win over Long Beach State, Boise State is now 21-19 in season openers since the 1979 campaign.
- Current Streak: The Broncos have now won four straight season openers.
- Garus Era: The Broncos are 4-6 in openers under head coach Shawn Garus.
- At Home: 9-5 all-time when opening at home.
- On Road: 12-14 all-time when opening on the road (away and neutral).
MILWAUKEE MATCH PREVIEW
UC RIVERSIDE MATCH PREVIEW
- The Boise State versus Milwaukee (0-4) match will open the Idaho State Invitational on Friday at noon in Reed Gym.
- This will be the second meeting all-time between the two programs with the last coming on Sept. 5, 1992 at Washington State where the Broncos won 3-0.
- Last weekend Milwaukee went 0-3 at home in the Panther Invitational falling to New Hampshire (3-1), South Dakota (3-0), Northwestern (3-1), most recently they lost at Northern Illinois (3-0) Tuesday.
- The Panthers are hitting 8.9 percent on the year and holding opponents to 21.4 percent ... they are led by Shari Volpis with 23 kills, while Klej Cerniauskaite has 16 kills and team-high 13 blocks.
- The Panthers are members of the Horizon League where they are picked to place seventh out of nine teams in 2018.
IDAHO STATE MATCH PREVIEW
- The first match on Saturday will be against the UC Riverside Highlanders who enter the weekend at 2-1.
- This will also be the second meeting all-time in the series between Boise State and UCR with the Broncos having won the last encounter 3-1 in Phoenix, Ariz., on Sept. 19, 2015.
- Last week the Highlanders opened the season at home with the Fullerton-UCR Classic where they defeated Montana (3-1) and Massachusetts-Lowell (3-0) before falling to Eastern Washington (3-2).
- Kaiulani Ahuna leads UCR in hitting percentage at 36.4 and in kills with 80, while Kat Lowery leads in blocks with 11.
- UCR is a member of the Big Weest Conference where it is picked to place eighth out of nine schools.
- Boise State will closeout the tournament versus instate-rival Idaho State at 7 p.m. on Saturday in Reed Gym.
- This will be the 67th meeting all-time in the series which is tied at 33 wins apiece.
- Boise State has won two straight against the Bengals including 3-0 in Boise last year.
- This will be a homecoming of sorts for Boise State assistant coach Hayley Peterson who played for the Bengals and was an assistant at ISU last year.
- The Bengals enter the tournament at 2-3 overall, all on the road ... they went 2-2 at the Georgia Tech Tournament last weekend beating Winthrop (3-2) and Abilene Christian (3-2) and falling to Georgia Tech (3-1) and Georgetown (3-2) ... on Tuesday ISU lost at Utah Valley (3-1).
- Abby Garrity leads ISU in kills with 81, Taylor Meeks owns a team-best 27.6 hitting percentage, while Brooke Pehrson leads in blocks with 33.
- Idaho State is a member of the Big Sky Conference where the Bengals are picked to place seventh out of 11 teams.
- Outside Hitter
- 5' 9"
- Middle Blocker
- 5' 10"
- Middle Blocker
- 6' 3"